Question & Answer-25
554. What fortress of great military importance did Hari Singh Nalwa capture ?
Fortress at Jamrud
555. What is the literal meaning of the word 'Nihang' ?
'Nihang' is a persian word which means 'crocodile'.
556. Who caused the Ghazis to say, "Toba Toba, Khuda Khud, Khalsa Shud!" ?
Akali Phula Singh
557. In which year was Akali Phula Singh made Jathedar of Akal Takht ?
558. As Jathedar of Akal Takht, what did Akali Phula Singh do to Maharaja
Ranjit Singh ?
When Ranjit Singh married a Muslim woman, named Moran of Lahore, Akali
Phula Singh, as the Jathedar of Akal Takth declared that Maharaja Ranjit
Singh is not a Sikh anymore and is a 'Tankhaiya' which means out of Sikhism.
He ordered the defendant to be at Golden temple before the community. Ranjit
Singh came and admitted that he had made a mistake. Akali Phula Singh
ordered 50 lashes for Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Ranjit Singh bowed down to
receive his punishment. Panj Pyaras were gratified at the submission of the
Maharaja and took a lenient view and accepted a fine of Rs. 1,25,000 from
559. Across the river Kabul, there is a tomb (Samaadhi)
that still stands as a witness to a warrior's undying chivalry. Who
was this warrior ?
Akali Phula Singh
560. When did Maharaja Ranjit Singh die ?
June 27, 1839
561. When did Maharaja Kharak Singh, successor of Maharaja Ranjit Singh die ?
November 6, 1840 A.D. (His son, Naunihal Singh died on same day too).
562. Who killed Kharak Singh ?
563. Who was the successor of Maharaja Kharak Singh ?
Maharaja Sher Singh became successor on January 18, 1841 A.D.
564. When was Maharaja Sher Singh murdered ?
September, 1843 A.D.
565. Who was the successor ?
Maharaja Duleep Singh, son of Maharani Jind Kaur.
566. When did Maharaja Duleep Singh accept the Christian faith ?
In 1853, Maharaja Duleep Singh, the last Sikh ruler of the Punjab,
accepted the Christian faith.
567. Who went to England to meet Maharaja Duleep
Singh and was responsible for his public renunciation of
Christianity and return to the Sikh faith ?
Sardar Thakur Singh Sandhawalia. He was the chief agent of Maharaja
Duleep Singh in India during his struggle against the British Government in
the eighteen eighties. It was he who had provided the Maharaja with
important documentary evidence in support of the Maharaja's claims to his
private ancestral estates in the Punjab and had used his influence to win
the sympathies of the Sikhs in his favor.
568. Whom did Maharaja Duleep Singh nominate as his would-be prime minister ?
Sardar Thakur Singh Sandhawalia.
569. When and where did Maharaja Duleep Singh die ?
Maharaja Duleep Singh died in Paris on October 22, 1893.
570. When was the First Anglo-Sikh war fought ?
571. When was the Second Anglo-Sikh war fought ?
572. When was the Brahmo Samaj established ?
The Brahma Sabha, later known as Brahmo Samaj, was founded by Raja
Rammohan Roy in Bengal in 1828.
573. When was the Arya Samaj established ?
The Arya Samaj was established at Bombay in 1875. The seed was sown by
the publication of Swami Dayananda's 'Satyarth Prakash' in Hindi.
574. Who started the Nirankari Movement ?
Baba Dayal, a contemporary of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, founded the
Nirankari Darbar at Rawalpindi in 1851 A.D. (this body later took the form
of a sect.)
575. What does Nirankar mean ?
The Formless One
576. When was Baba Dayal born ?
Baba Dayal was born at Peshawar in 1783.