Question & Answer-18
400. After assuming royal authority at Lohgarh, what did Banda Singh Bahadur
He struck coins in the
name of the Guru.
He introduced an
Official Seal for his state documents and letters patent.
He introduced his own
Sammat or regnal year from the date of his conquest of Sirhind.
He totally abolished the
Zamindari (Landlord) System of the Mughals which had reduced the
cultivators to the position of slaves.
401. What did Banda Singh Bahadur's Official Seal read ?
Deg o teg o fateh o nusrat bedirang
Yaft az Nanak Guru Gobind Singh
(The Kettle and the Sword, Victory and ready Patronage have been obtained
from Guru Nanak - Guru Gobind Singh)
402. What do Degh, Tegh, and Fateh mean ?
403. What was the green banner raised by the Mullas of Lahore ?
The Mullas raised a green banner, called the Haidri Flag, and proclaimed
a crusade (jehad) against the Sikhs.
404. What was the new war-cry that Banda Singh Bahadur introduced ?
'Fateh Darshan' meaning Victory to the Presence. (It was later rejected
by the Khalsa since it came to be used for and to replace the old Sikh
Salutation of 'Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh'.)
405. Name the Sikh who sacrificed his life when he disguised himself in the
garments of Banda Singh Bahadur and seated himself in his place, so that
Banda Singh could escape from the fort of Lohgarh and retreat to the hills
Bhai Gulab Singh (on December 10, 1710)
406. When did Emperor Bahadur Shah die ?
February 18, 1712
407. Who ascended the throne for just 10 months after the death of Bahadur
408. Who defeated Jahander Shah to take over the throne of Delhi ?
When were the Sikhs forced to
evacuate Sadhaura and Lohgarh and take refuge in the Jammu hills ?
October, 1713 A.D.
What was Banda Singh Bahadur's
second wife's name ?
Sahib Kaur. (He had by her
a son, named Ranjit Singh - not the same as Maharaja Ranjit Singh)
411. Who was the Governor of Lahore who
made the forces of Banda Singh retreat to Gurdas Nangal in April, 1715 A.D.
Abd-us-Samad Khan (father
of Zakhriya Khan)
412. What was the Sikh Enclosure at
Gurdas Nangal called ?
Fortress (Garhi) of
413. After eight long months in the
Fortress of Gurdaspur, who had a difference in opinion with Banda Singh ? What was
the difference in opinion ? What happened as a result of this difference in
Binod Singh had a
difference in opinion with Banda Singh. Apparently, he proposed evacuating
the enclosure and following their old tactics of cutting through the enemy's
lines for a place of safety. Banda Singh was not in favor of it. Binod
Singh, as per decision reached by his son Kahan Singh, left the enclosure.
414. When was the Fortress of Gurdaspur
captured by the Mughals ?
December 7, 1715 A.D.
415. Why were the bodies of Sikhs ripped
The bodies of Sikhs were
ripped opened in search of gold coins supposed to have been swallowed by
416. Where were Banda Singh and his
companions taken from Gurdas Nangal ?
They were taken to lahore
by Abdus Samad Khan and then despatched to Delhi under the charge of his
son, Zakhriya Khan.
417. What was the name of the Sikh who
broke the chains around his hands and feet when Emperor Farrukh Siyar taunted
him and his fellow Sikhs ?
418. How many soldiers did Baaj Singh
kill after breaking through the chains around his hands and feet ?
He killed seven soldiers
419. When was Banda Singh Bahadur
June 9, 1716
420. Name the son of Banda Singh Bahadur
from his first wife. What was his fate ?
Ajai Singh. The executioner
hacked the 4 year old child to pieces joint by joint with a long knife,
dragged out his quivering heart and thrust it into the mouth of his father,
Banda Singh Bahadur.