Question & Answer-15
339. How many Vaars are contained in the Guru Granth Saheb ?
Guru Granth Saheb contains 22 (Twenty Two) Vaars dealing with spiritual
and ethical themes.
340. Who composed the highest number of Vaars in Guru Granth Saheb ?
Guru Ram Das composed the highest number of Vaars, eight out of the
twenty two included in the Guru Granth Saheb. Among the rest, three are by
Guru Nanak, four by Guru Amardas, six by Guru Arjan, and one Vaar is by the
bards, Satta and Balvand, attached to the Gurus.
341. Which Vaars in Guru Granth Saheb don't have Salokas ?
All the Vaars in Guru Granth Saheb with the exception of Basant Ki
Vaar and Ramkali Ki Vaar by Satta and Balvand, have Salokas added
to their Pauris by Guru Arjan at the time of the compilation of the Adi
342. What are the 'Salok Varaan Te Vadheek' in Guru Granth Saheb ?
The 'Salok Varaan Te Vadheek' is the title given to the miscellany
comprising 152 Salokas or couplets appearing in the concluding portion of
Guru Granth Saheb. Guru Arjan, when compiling the Adi Granth, introduced
Salokas by the Gurus he had collected into the text of 'Vaars'. The couplets
left over in the process were assembled under the caption 'Salok Varaan Te
Vadheek', i.e. Salokas in excess of the Vaars.
343. What are the 'Vaaraan Bhai Gurdas' ?
Vaaraan Bhai Gurdas is the title given to the collection of forty Vaars
(or ballads) written in Punjabi by Bhai Gurdas. These Vaars, which are
accepted as part of approved Sikh canon, reiterate or explain in simple
idiom what was contained in the Sikh scripture. In fact, the Vaars were
designated by Guru Arjan as the key to the Guru Granth Saheb.
344. According to the index of Ragas at the end of Guru Granth Saheb Ji, what
is the total number of Ragas and Raginis ?
84 (Eighty Four)
345. How many has the Guru used ?
31 (Thirty One), the first being Sri Raag and the last Jaijavanti.
346. Name these 31 Ragas
347. Who wrote the 'Zaffarnama' ?
While at Dina, Guru Gobind Singh Ji wrote this 'Epistle of Victory' in
Persian to Aurangzeb. In this he reminded him of his ill-treatment, and told
him that, though so many of his Sikhs, besides his sons, had been killed, he
was still unconquered.
348. When did Aurangzeb die ?
February, 1707 A.D.
349. Who was the eldest son of Aurangzeb
and why didn't he become the next Emperor ?
Muhammad Sultan died before Aurangzeb on December 14, 1676.
350. Name the third son of Aurangzeb who proclaimed himself the Emperor of
India after the death of Aurangzeb.
351. Name the second son of Aurangzeb who was the heir-apparent and who begged Guru Gobind Singh Ji's assistance against his brother, Muhammad Azam.
Prince Muhammad Muazzam (later became Emperor Muhammad Muazzam Bahadur
352. In which battle did Guru Gobind Singh Ji lend a helping hand to Muhammad Muazzam ?
Battle of Jajau (June 8, 1707)
353. Who stabbed Guru Gobind Singh Ji ?
One of the two pathans sent by Wazir Khan to kill Guru Gobind Singh Ji
354. When did Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji become 'Joti
Jot' (immersed in the Eternal Light) ?
October 7, 1708 A.D.
355. What is the significance of Hazur Saheb (one of the 5 Takhts) ?
Guru Gobind Singh Ji became 'Joti Jot' (immersed in the Eternal Light)
here in 1708 A.D.